When one hears the word “barbecue”, they automatically think of meat. Beef, chicken, pork and seafood are indeed fixtures in a backyard barbecue, but they are always enjoyed best with a side of vegetables. The next time you take your grill out, throw in some fruits and vegetables along with your meat for a more complete, more fulfilling menu!
Here are 3 delicious grilled vegetable skewers you can try for your next grilling session:
Grilled Sriracha Tofu Skewers
What you need:
- 1 zucchini, sliced into large chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into large chunks
- 10 large mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 cup large chunks extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Ground black pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, mix together zucchini, red bell pepper, mushrooms and tofu. In a small bowl, stir together jalapeno pepper, onion, soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil and ground black pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well-combined. Pour mixture over tofu and vegetables then toss lightly to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. When ready, thread tofu and vegetables onto skewers and cook on a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or to desired doneness.
Veggies and Vinaigrette Skewers
What you need:
- 1 large yellow squash, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch cubes and separated into 3-layer segments
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, thyme, mustard, kosher salt and black pepper. Place squash, zucchini, onion, bell pepper and grape tomatoes in a large bowl, add vinaigrette then toss to coat. Let sit for 8-10 minutes then thread vegetables alternately onto skewers. reserve remaining vinaigrette. Cook on a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes or until edges of vegetables are browned. Place skewers on a platter, pour remaining vinaigrette over skewers then serve.
Garlic-Mayo Potato Skewers
What you need:
- 1 kilogram red potatoes, washed, scrubbed and quartered
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Place bowl in a microwave and cook on high until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and allow to dry. Combine mayonnaise, white wine, rosemary and garlic powder in a large bowl. Add potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. When ready, thread potatoes onto skewers and cook on a pre-heated grill over high heat until tender. Allow a few minutes to cool before serving.
Add a healthy, delicious side to your grilled meat with these delicious grilled vegetable skewers!